Staying active is one of the most important things a person can to do manage their overall health. Physical activity improves overall cardiovascular health by strengthening the heart and lowering blood pressure. It also helps:
- Burn off stress
- You reach and keep a healthy weight
- Strengthen your muscles and bones
- Improve mental health and mood
Research shows that active parents raise active children, and active children are more likely to grow up to be healthy adults. Developing positive exercise habits at a young age will pay dividends later in life.
- Limit screen time
- Take a walk before or after dinner
- Let the kids decide
- Be a good role model
One of the biggest deterrents from getting a workout in is finding the time to do so. By adding at least 22 minutes of activity in your day, your risk of heart disease is decreased.
- Break your activity into shorter segments throughout your day
- Take the stairs when available for an extra boost
- A brisk walk during lunch or after work or school can aid in relaxation and increasing your heart rate